Tuesday 8 February 2011

Self Reflection and Project Planning

Working from home has its advantages and its disadvantages.  The main advantage is slippers.  Some of the disadvantages are not having a whole office full of professional experts to hand when you need them, the lure of the kettle, and lack of peer surveillance to stop you from going on twitter every 10 minutes.

This morning I had a tricky phonecall with Melita where she asked me what I wanted to get out of the project.  Later on in the phonecall we established that I need to prepare for meetings before I go into them - think about what I'm going to say and what I want to leave the meeting knowing -  and I think this phonecall was a case in point. 
I'm not as upset as that last sentence makes me sound - afterall, this is my first foray into professionalism; everyone, including myself, is expecting me to make mistakes and not be perfect first time round.  This is my first job where I haven't had to say 'would you like the receipt in your bag?'

So anyway, following this phonecall I got to work on a Project Plan - having never written, or even seen, a project plan before, I was a bit relieved when Melita sent me a framework to start from.  Working through headings like 'Purpose', 'Resources', 'Objectives', 'Deliverables' and 'Timeline' has helped me get my head round the different elements of the project up to the HLF Young Roots application submission - that x relies on y to happen first, and we have to leave so many weeks between x and y to allow for responses and reminders, that sort of thing.

Melita's response to me showing her the draft just now begins with 'Great start'... so I can't have done that badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment