Tuesday 19 July 2011

New Saints Blog Statement - Joe W

Name
Joe Walls

Why do you want to be involved in the project?
 
Personally I believe that this project will not only benefit myself and have an influence on future jobs, but I have always wanted to give something to my community.
This particular project will involve engaging with the public and exploring the possibilities of turning a huge church into a venue more sustainable for the people of Langport and to itself.
Without this opportunity, Langport will continue to have very limited things to do or see, as we have already lost a lot of the usual events that used to attract the community, for example; The Fun fair on the riverside, the firework show at Elis,
and many smaller events like Film nights and Morning / Evening get-togethers for all ages.

What kind of new opportunities are you looking forward to?

There are many opportunities that I am looking forward to, one of the main ones being running our own registered charity to aid the church and the project. This is a very powerful thing to have on your CV, as the responsibility involved, and the amount of different subjects it covers are phenomenal. Inc, Finances, Admin, Management, Being responsible for spending / Budgets. Applying for grants, and meeting demands. Holding and managing fundraising events, and keeping a log / documentary on progress, or alternatively what went wrong. Problem solving and meeting opposition.
 
How will working with the project help your future?

I would hope, that by working alongside my friends and peers, that after the project has been a success, then I would still have some kind of connection with the outcome. I would like to continue working with the church, and the Church Conservation Trust to ensure that the Church is maintained, the venue is still adequate for Langports' needs, and be there to assist young people in the future, to help them gain the relevant experience and prospects that I hope to receive from the project.
 
Where would you like to take lead in the project?

To be quite honest, I would like to run the project completely, however, being realistic I would like to learn the needed skills and collect the required experience in order to do this in the future, maybe with another project as well as this one.
Being business minded already, I believe I would be a very good asset to any role in the project.
 
How would you like to celebrate achievements?
 

To celebrate any achievements, I think it would be nice go for a pint in my local and feel proud that I have made a difference to my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment